Explore our free resources for small business owners and entrepreneurs in Big Country.
Small Business Start-up Guide
Simplify your start-up "to do's" with this helpful guide. Join us and our partners at Business Link as we walk you through all the steps involved to turn your business idea into reality.
Small Business Financial Guide
This guide will help you take charge of your financials by guiding you on:
- Financial Fundamentals
- Accounting Software
- Breakeven Analysis
- Financial Statements 101
- Guide to Financial Terms
- Hiring an Accountant
- Balance Sheet Template
- Income Statement Template
Small Business Marketing Guide
- Marketing Guide
- Different by Design
- Ideal Client Worksheet
- Marketing Channels
- 12 Golden Rules for your Website
Download our FREE Staff Affordability Calculator
Did you know that the average wage in 2020 in Alberta was nearly $37/hour or $77,000 per year?
Don’t worry, our Staff Affordability Calculator will help you understand if you have the money needed to hire more staff for your growth plans.
- SME Direct - Gain access to a wealth of small business information available through Industry Canada.
- Bplans.com Small Business Planning Centre - In-depth site of how to start a business.
- ENTERWeb - Quality source of information on small business, finance, community development, international trade, entrepreneurship, enterprise development, and the economy.
- The Go Forth Institute For Entrepreneurial Skills Development - If you're looking to bolster your understanding of how to start, run or grow a successful and profitable business, learn GoForth Institute's 100 Essential Small Business Skills™ in only 10 hours conveniently delivered to your computer through streaming video and an option 400+ page resource curriculum book.
- Workink - An online career development AND employment portal for Canadians with disabilities.
- Alberta Works - offers employment and career resources, training supports, Alberta job & career fairs, income support, and health benefits
- Alberta/Canada Job Grant - Train the workers you need. The Alberta-Canada job grant can help fund training for your new or current employees
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Express Entry Information for Employers - You can fill labour market shortages permanently with skilled foreign nationals.
- BDC Entrepreneurs First - Business Development Bank of Canada's entrepreneurship opportunities.
- Futurpreneur - Assisting young entrepreneurs to get their ideas off the ground, Youth Business offers programs and services that allow them to achieve economic independence, develop self-confidence, and fulfill their goals of self-employment.
- The Youth Entrepreneur's Network - An online community that supports the needs of young entrepreneurs from around the world as they attempt to build and thrive in their own businesses
- Youth Café - Government of Canada website for youth seeking employment opportunities.
- Aboriginal Youth Business Council
- Business Link Indigenous Services
- BDC Indigenous Entrepreneur
- Indigenous Services Canada
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
Government of Alberta
- Government of Alberta
- Alberta Grants & Funding
- Alberta Investor Tax Credit (AITC)
- Alberta Small Business Resources
- Business and Economy
- Canada-Alberta Job Grant
- Community (Local) Economic Development
- Agriculture & Forestry
- Economic Development & Trade
- BizPal Alberta
- Corporate Registries
- Advanced Education
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Community and Regional Economic Development Funding Opportunities
Government of Canada
- Government of Canada
- Agriculture & Agrifood Canada
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Canada Business Network - General Links
- Canada Business Service Centre
- Canadian Industry Statistics
- The Western Canada Business Service Network (WCBSN)
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Global Affairs Canada
- Employment & Social Development Canada
- Innovation, Science & Economic Development Canada
- Service Canada
- Statistics Canada
- Trade Commissioner Service Canada
- Western Canada Economic Diversification
Entrepreneurs with Disabilities
Francophone Economic Development Organization
Business Education & Other Resources
- Agriculture Financial Services
- Alberta Innovates
- Alberta Women Entrepreneurs
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Business Link
- Canadian Commercial Corporation
- Dun and Bradstreet Business Information Services
- Entrepreneur's Organization
- Farm Credit Canada
- The Go Forth Institute For Entrepreneurial Skills Development
- The World Bank
Starting a business in a city (Calgary/Edmonton)
Business Link operates walk-in centres in Edmonton and Calgary. They offer information and advice about everything from start-up, regulations, financing and loan programs to marketing, product sourcing, e-business and government programs and services. They can also be reached via a toll-free business information line: 1-800-272-9675.
Let’s see what we can do for your business
Give us a call, send us an email, or drop in for a chat.